- Accent-reduction technique
- Dialects & Accents for Actors, Storytellers
- Intonation – Speech Rhythm – Muscularity/Resonance – Pronunciation
- Lilt, Stress, Resonance, and Pronunciation
- Foreign Accent Reduction
- Jump Up & Step Down system for Americanizing pitch and speech rhythm
- Mid-Tongue Muscularity technique
- Consonants & Clusters
- Colloquial Speech Styles
David A. Stern, Ph.D., has coached business executives, broadcast media personalities, government officials, actors, and members of the clergy to modify accents and speak more expressively for many years.
Among his celebrity trainees have been: Stephen Baldwin, Mike Farrell, Daryl Hannah, Julie Harris, Jack Klugman, Shelly Long, Liam Neeson, Edward James Olmos, Bronson Pinchot, Lynn Redgrave, and Michael York, as well as Oscar winners Geena Davis, Olympia Dukakis, Sally Field, Julia Roberts, and Forest Whitaker.
Stern developed his accent-reduction technique while teaching non-native actors to audition for the roles of American-born characters.
He has taught his effective and entertaining methods to thousands of ESL teachers, speech pathologists, and speech/drama coaches at workshops, and at national, state, and local conferences.
Corporate accent-reduction and speech clients have included executives from: Bateman-Eichler-Hill-Richards, Beech Aircraft, Mitsubishi Bank, NCR Corp., TRW Corp., Union Carbide, and Wells Fargo Bank.
Stern is a Professor of Dramatic Arts.
His work includes film and television in addition to serving as Dialect Coach for the Repertory Theatre and the Theatre Festival.
Books by David Alan Stern, Ph.D.
- Techniques for Teaching Accent Reduction
- Speaking without an Accent
- Acting with an Accent
- Dialect Monologues