- Conversations with Uncommon Women, Men on Divorce, and Divorced Women, New Lives.
- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
- Insights from women who’ve risen above life’s challenges to achieve extraordinary success
Eleanor “Ellie” Wymard, Ph.D., the director of the Master of Fine Arts program, is a professor of English.
Her critical essays on Kate Chopin, Barbara Pym, J.F. Powers, Annie Dillard, John Irving, John Fowles and Mary Gordon are published in academic journals, such as Modern Fiction Studies, Southern Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal of the South, Studies in Short Fiction, Cross Currents, Commonweal and The Month (London, England). A recent example is “The Quest for Ritual and Celebration in the Comedic World of Barbara Pym,” in “All This Reading: The Literary World of Barbara Pym”.
As an author, she has appeared on radio and television shows throughout the United States and spoken before professional and general-interest groups on topics related to her books. For The Critic she wrote a series of essays based on interviews with Anna Quindlen, Alice McDermott, Naomi Shihab Nye, Lee Smith, Mary Higgins Clark and Jane Coleman, among others. Before an audience of 1,200, she interviewed Amy Tan for the Drue Heinz Lecture Series.
Ellie Wymard has an earned doctorate in American literature.
Books by Ellie Wymard, Ph.D.
- Uncommon Women:
- Conversations with Uncommon Women: Insights from women who’ve risen above life’s challenges to achieve extraordinary success
- Men on Divorce: Conversations with Ex Husbands
- Talking Steel Towns: The Women and Men of America’s Steel Valley
- Divorced Women, New Lives