- Service is an Inside Job
- Employee Engagement Serving Those who Serve Your Customer
- Mastering Change, Unleashing Innovation & Leaving a Legacy
- Customer loyalty, & referrals
- Leadership – The Art of Lasting Significance – Leave Your Mark
- Aspects of leading
Joseph A. Michelli, Ph.D., is one of today’s influential leaders” igniting emotional engagement, loyalty + advocacy. Michelli is about leadership, employee engagement, and elevating customer service to the level of memorable customer experiences. “Joseph’s intriguing insights and intellectual fodder for leaders aspiring to upgrade the quality of service offered by their organizations.”
Joseph expands that influence through engaging presentations which demonstrate enduring leadership principles, legendary customer service strategies, and practical employee empowerment and innovation approach. ” E commerce Influencer
Joseph’s insights encourage leaders and front-line workers to grow and invest passionately in business and interpersonal relationships.
Michelli believes his greatest accomplishment is his ability to learn from laughter and humor.
Joseph A. Michelli, Ph.D., in the media.
Making Lemonade from Sour Customer
Experiences: How to Win When Most Lose by Joseph Michelli, Ph.D.
Its Official Customer Satisfaction Has Soured
If you’ve waited for something delayed by “supply chain” back-ups or endured slow
service due to “understaffing,” this finding from the American Customer
Satisfaction Index (ACSI) likely won’t surprise you.
Customer Satisfaction is at a 17-year low!
Here’s an ACSI graph showing the ups and downs of customer satisfaction dating
back to 1995.
ACSI explains the journey of customer satisfaction: In the 1990s, business focus on customer satisfaction was in its infancy, and the
satisfaction decline between 1994 and 1997 came at a time when profits were generated from efficiencies in production rather than from satisfied customers. As the profitability from customer satisfaction and customer retention became more apparent, except for the financial crisis in 2009, a long period of strong economic growth and increasing customer satisfaction followed. However, economic growth and customer satisfaction began to flatten a decade ago. Since 2019, there has been a sharp decline in customer satisfaction.
Why These Numbers Should Be Encouraging
Given that you likely want to elevate customer experiences, low customer satisfaction represents an opportunity for you to turn your competitors’ sour
experiences (lemons) into sweetened interactions (lemonade). While supply chain problems may be ubiquitous, how we treat our team members and customers
remains a differentiator.
A recent Zendesk study titled “Customer Experience Trends 2022” offered 5 Traps that get in the way of establishing your customer-centric competitive advantage.
1. Customer service isn’t wowing customers. 54 percent of customers report
that customer service is an afterthought for most businesses.
2. Leadership talks the talk but doesn’t walk the walk. 46% of companies don’t
have a three-year strategic plan for customer service
3. Current investments aren’t enough to support a standout team. About one-third of companies predict a 25 percent increase in customer engagement,
but only 14 percent plan to raise their budgets by a similar margin.
4. Customer service team members are burned out and feel
undervalued. Considering all factors, less than 30 percent of service
professionals feel empowered to do their jobs well.
5. Disjointed systems confuse customers and halt growth. A best-in-class customer service team isn’t possible without the right tools.
So, what are you doing to ensure you are sidestepping the customer experience traps outlined by Zendesk and differentiating yourself at a time of the customer
Given the challenges and headwinds involved in delivering outstanding customer experiences, the words of Jimmy Dean can be helpful:
I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails always to reach my destination.
Books by Joseph Anthony Michelli, Ph.D., CCXP
- The Starbucks Experience: 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary into Extraordinary
- Humor, Play and Laughter: Stress-proofing Life With Your Kids!
- The New Gold Standard: Leadership Principles for Creating Legendary Customer Experiences
- When Fish Fly – Lessons For Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace
- The Zappos Experience – 5 Principles to Inspire, Engage, and WOW
- Prescription for Excellence
- The Airbnb Way
- Stronger Through Adversity