- Marine Capt. Jason Frei can tell you the exact position of each finger on his right hand, he lost the hand to an Iraqi rocket grenade.
- Feel the Power of a Bravest
- Jason Frei commanded about 130 other soldiers with Alpha Battery, 1st Battalion, 11th Marines
- How to successfully complete a mission
- How do you establish an environment with strong, ethical values?
United States Marine Major Jason Frei, commanding officer Headquarters Battery A, 1st Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, lost his right hand, and most of his forearm, in Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The battalion was the first artillery unit to leave on a ship bound for Kuwait on Jan. 17, 2003 and fired some of the first shots of the war, thus paving the way for the 1st Marine Division’s advance into Iraq. Major Frei, a 10 year career Marine and graduate of the United States Naval Academy, was awarded the Purple Heart for wounds he received during this action. Major Frei was wounded when a rocket-propelled grenade struck his side of a hard-back humvee