- Preparing a predator-free sanctuary for native fauna near Waitati, bird counts, invertebrate trapping, vegetation surveys, pest monitoring, weed control etc
- Bringing home Otago’s exiled wildlife
- Recreating a lost world where the songs of native birds fill the forest
- Peaceful encounters with nature
- Ecology & the science of pest-free ecological restoration
- The Living Earth aims to protect & restore the endemic vegetation & to re-establish ecological processes on the headland at Smaills Beach (Otago Peninsula).
Professor Colin aims to restore the kind of forest that would have been in coastal Otago before humans arrived on these shores and to make it safe for our threatened native animals, birds and plants.
Colin Campbell-Hunt has been sharing the life of his late wife through the words of her unfinished Ph.D., research.
Diane Campbell-Hunt ”mother” of Orokonui Ecosanctuary, near Dunedin, died after being swept away as she tried to cross a swollen stream while tramping in Egmont National Park.
She was two-thirds of the way through her Ph.D., into the long-term sustainability of fenced wildlife sanctuaries in New Zealand, funded by a Tertiary Education Commission top achiever doctoral scholarship.
She left a 250,000-word database of interviews and research which Prof Campbell-Hunt decided needed to be finished.
”I know it would have been Diane’s wish. It’s been a wonderful project for me, as I’ve continued to share the life of Diane and being part of this venture here [Orokonui].”
Mrs Campbell-Hunt, who had carried out a feasibility study into the Orokonui Ecosanctuary before becoming its project manager and then trust secretary, had written a book about the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary (now Zealandia) in Wellington.
Prof Campbell-Hunt said he had drawn the research together to find the answers she was looking for in her study of five ecosanctuaries.
The finding was ecosanctuaries needed to have a sustainable economic model, sustainable community support and sustainable ecology.
Books by Prof. Colin Campbell-Hunt
Book Prof. Colin Campbell-Hunt for your Event!