- Threatens to run for the governorship of the state of Texas. An Independent candidate and political amateur.
Richard K. Friedman, One of the great political stories in generations is about to unfold, as Richard ‘Kinky’ Friedman, humorist, performer, mystery writer, and Texas columnist, threatens to run for the governorship of the state of Texas. An Independent candidate and political amateur.
“The professionals gave us the Titanic, amateurs gave us the Ark. Career politicians are ribbon cutters. They see the governor’s office as a job; I see it as an opportunity to make that Lone Star shine again.”
“I’m an Independent, which is the party of George Washington, Teddy Roosevelt, Sam Houston, and Davy Crockett.”
As Governor, Kinky, or “the Kinkster”, would:
• Legalize casino gambling to fund education
• Abolish political correctness “We didn’t get to be the Lone Star state by being politically correct.”
• Take a good look at death row. “We need to make sure that we’re not putting innocent people to death, which I believe we are”
• Outlaw the de-clawing of cats
• Bring young people into his administration. “Young people are less corrupt. They are the future of Texas; it’s theirs to win or lose.”
“If elected, I would ask Willie Nelson to be the head of the Texas Rangers and Laura Bush to take charge of education in the state. I’d ask my Palestinian hairdresser, Farouk Shami, to be Texas ‘ ambassador to Israel. We’ve worked together to create Farouk & Friedman olive oil. The oil comes from the Holy land, and all the profits benefit Israeli and Palestinian children.”
One thing is for sure: this will not be politics as usual, and Kinky’s campaign, or anti-campaign, is not expecting to have a massive war chest from which to buy the Governor’s office. Rather, “the coin of the spirit” will sweep Kinky into the Governor’s office.
Books by Richard K. Friedman